Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Making Love To Bill Withers (1975)

If I had to pick a favorite genre of vinyl records in my collection, it would probably be R&B. I especially love collecting albums from the great soul-funk era of the 1970's. There are so many lost gems hidden inside the R&B albums of the 70's, and I love discovering them.

One of my favorite artists of this period is Bill Withers. He is not as well-known as perhaps Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, or even Al Green, all of whom were making terrific music during this period, but he really should be.

If you don't know the name, you surely recognize some of his songs. He wrote such classics as 'Ain't No Sunshine', 'Lean On Me' and the buddy-movie anthem 'Just The Two Of Us'. His best known album is probably his debut "Just As I Am" from 1971.

For some unknown reason, only about half of Bill Withers excellent albums have ever been released on CD. But fear not, friends. I have some of these 'missing albums' on vinyl. Today's track comes from one of those, the 1975 album "Making Music".

The song is 'Make Love To Your Mind', and along with 'She's Lonely' it is really one of the real stand-out tracks on the album. Maybe if you're good I'll share that other track in the future.

There have been by my count over six Bill Withers 'Best Of' compilations over the last few years, but no decent releases for any of his mid to late 70's albums. I guess it's a good thing some people hung on to, and still seek out vinyl.

Anyway, click the link to make love to Bill Withers. He wouldn't want it any other way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qry4nzegach

No comments:

Post a Comment