Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Roxy Music Gets Really Jealous (1983)


Although I can't seem to locate the funds necessary to purchase the new Beatles remastered albums, I lately find myself in a Beatles mood. I have been listening to many of my Beatles albums for the first time in a while and have rediscovered some wonderful less-known gems such as "Hey Bulldog" from 'Yellow Submarine' and their song "Rain" (which was the flip-side to "Paperback Writer").

I have come to the conclusion that although I love most Beatles' tunes, my all time favorites seem to be written by John Lennon. I am also a huge fan of his later solo work, from which he created today's track.

This song was just one of a long line of what I call the "Apologies To Yoko" song series. There was "Woman" from 'Double Fantasy', "Aismasen (I'm Sorry)" from 'Mind Games', and of course "Jealous Guy" off of Lennon's landmark 1971 album 'Imagine".

But today's version of this John Lennon classic comes from the great 80's New Wave band Roxy Music. Roxy Music was founded by musical visionaries Bryan Ferry and Brian Eno, and they had a string of syth-pop hits in the late 70's and early 80's. They are perhaps most well known for their song "More Than This" from their 1982 'Avalon' album. That song has been covered by many artists in a variety of styles.

But getting back to John Lennon, today's track is Roxy Music's cover version of "Jealous Guy" from their live four-track EP 'The High Road' which was released in 1983. Side one of the EP contains original live Roxy songs, but side two has these great live covers of both this John Lennon song and "Like a Hurricane" by Neil Young. It is a great record.


So here it is. Click the link to see why Roxy Music is just so jealous of John Lennon.


1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. Great cover of a great original. (I'm a brother of your brother-in-law TJS.)

    ReplyDelete