Saturday, August 8, 2009

Roy Orbison Says He's My Girl (1965)


The other night while flipping through channels I happened to stop on my local PBS station. They were having a telethon to raise money for public broadcasting while also airing the 1987 concert special 'Black & White Night' featuring Roy Orbison.

I watched the show for quite a while, watching Orbison perform with the likes of Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen (Man did everyone look super-cool in '87!) and was reminded what a great artist Roy Orbison really was.


I have been a fan of his since I first heard the opening guitar riff of "Pretty Woman" sometime early in my youth. As I got more into music, I grew to appreciate the uniqueness of Orbison's operatic voice which was combined amazingly with a rock n' roll sensibility.

Roy Orbison, along with Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis was one of the original Sun Records recording artists. That southern rock sound, often called 'rockabilly', helped launch pop music to a whole new level in the late 1950's.

Today's track comes off of Roy's 1965 album titled wonderfully as 'Orbisongs'. This was the album that also contained maybe his most famous song "Pretty Woman". The song is "Say You're My Girl" and features a fun beat and that great swooning Orbison voice.


Click the link below to say you're my girl.



1 comment:

  1. Rafael, I love your posting about Roy Orbison. Please send me your mailing address. Would like to send you a box set. tanja@orbison.com

    ReplyDelete